Sunday, June 14, 2015

6/16/2015 – Tuesday of the 11th week in Ordinary Time – 2 Corinthians 8:1-9

     Paul’s letter to the Corinthians includes an appeal to contribute to a collection to the church in Jerusalem.   We hear the introduction to that appeal in today’s reading. Paul praises the community’s generosity and concern for others.  This past Sunday, I can tell you that I was very worn out after a very hectic and busy weekend.  I had 6 masses already that weekend, including a memorial mass for someone who had passed away in Mexico the day before and a wedding.  I also had a baptism and visits to the sick this weekend as well.  Yet, when my busy weekend was drawing to an end on Sunday afternoon, Elquin, Joseph and I got on the road to drive to Ripley for the 5:00 mass, where Sigi Bonilla, the lay ecclesial minister there for more than 15 years, was celebrating his last Sunday mass with the community.  I certainly would have appreciated having a rest on Sunday evening, and not having to return home past 8:00 pm.  But, my respect and esteem for Sigi and my devotion and solidarity with the Catholic community in Ripley gave me the motivation and strength to travel there that afternoon.  We Catholic parishes are not independent from each other – we are brothers and sisters in Christ, and as such, we are called to be in union and solidarity with each other.  Paul’s writings really stress the connection that the communities had in the Early Church.  It is easy to think only of our own needs at times and to downplay that unity we have.  Certainly, it would be easier on me and our parish if I could devote more time to our Tupelo community and not have to travel to Jackson so much for meetings and committees.  Loving God and loving our neighbor are essential to our faith.  Both those commands call us to collaborate with our Catholic brothers and sister in Christ with charity and tenderness of heart.  I can tell you that when I came back Sunday night, I was extremely tired, but I had great joy in my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment