Monday, May 25, 2015

5/28/2015 – Thursday of the 8th week in ordinary time – the story of the Blind man Bartimaeus – Mark 10:46-52

     A blind man named Bartimaeus cries out to Jesus from the side of the road: “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!”  The blind man is rebuked for calling out to Jesus.  The disciples try to silence him, but Bartimaeus does not refrain from his requests.  Jesus finally responds, telling the blind man that his faith has saved him.  Bartimaeus is able to see and to continue on his way.
          Bartimaeus had faith in Jesus – total faith.  I wonder if we let things in life get us down, if we feel weary and dejected, or if we are able to show the tenacity and courage and steadfastness that this blind man displays in today’s Gopsel.  I have kept this short prayer that a junior high school student gave me when I was an associate pastor at St Richard in Jackson.  This young man just earned his associates degree with honors this month from a community college.  He thought that the prisoners I ministered to would like this prayer.  I think it relates to the story of Bartimaeus that we hear this morning: Lord Jesus, I give you my hands to do your work,
I give you my feet, to follow your path.
I give you my eyes to see as you do.
I give you my tongue to speak your words.
I give you my mind so that you can think in me.
I give you my spirit so that you can pray in me.
Above all things, I give you my heart, so in me you can love your father and all people.
I give you my whole self so you can grow in me, until it is you, Lord, who lives, works, and prays in me.  AMEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment