Wednesday, January 28, 2015

On the Camino de Santiago in Spain

          Hello Everyone!  Tuesday, I arrived in Madrid to hike the pilgrimage of St James.  I had hoped to be able to walk the entire route over a 4 week period, but some priestly responsibilities came up, and I had to reschedules, and due to Ash Wednesday coming up  on February 18, could only go for a 3 week pilgrimage. I will be flying back to the United States on February 14 and will report for duty for the Sunday February 15 masses, the last Sunday in Ordinary Time before Lent starts.
           I made my way to Madrid by bus, and started walking this morning (Wednesday -  January 28).  I made it 14 miles today over fairly rugged and hilly terrain.  For a priest that does not get much time to exercise, that was a pretty rough hike today.  This whole pilgrimage, however, I am going to listen to my body and my spirit and will do what I can each day.  Truth be told, this will be the first time since April/May 2012 - when I came to Spain the last time - that I have been able to take a  weekend off to myself.  I sometimes get to take weekdays off, but never an extended break and rarely a break over the weekend. So, this is a very needed retreat time for me.
            I just have my ipad mini with my here in Spain, and have not been able to post photos to my blog yet, so they may not be coming until I get back to the US.  Lifting everyone up in prayer on this journey.  Blessings to all of you.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment