Tuesday, September 30, 2014

9/30/2014 - St Jerome - Priest and Doctor of the Church -

      Back in 2005, I was a seminarian at Sacred Heart School of Theology in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, a wonderful learning community that trained me so well for the priesthood.  It was the beginning of my second year of studies.  I had done so well to keep up an exercise routine in the midst of my studies, activities, and a campus job, when I badly sprained my ankle while out jogging the morning of our first day of classes.  This happened in mid-August, and until September 30, I had to hobble around campus on crutches.  Not fun at all.  I remember the feast day of St Jerome because it was on this date, September 30, that I will finally able to discard the crutches and walk without their assistance. 
       Jerome lived in the late 4th and early 5th century.  He was known as one of the greatest Scripture scholars in the early Church. In fact, St Augustine, one of our Church’s greatest theologians, once said: “What Jerome is ignorant of, no mortal has ever known.” Jerome translated the Bible into Latin, which was the common language of his day.  That version of the Bible, the Vulgate, is still held in high esteem up until today.  As a seminarian, I felt Jerome’s presence and inspiration with me as I completed my studies in Scripture and Theology.  Jerome also had a very fiery, combative personality, and often found it very hard to be patient with others, especially in light of his intelligence and knowledge.  Jerome perhaps is a good patron for all of us who have problems with patience and tolerance in our modern, technologically advanced world.  Jerome is the patron saints of librarians, students, archeologists, and translators.
        May we offer up our worries and preoccupations to St Jerome today, giving thanks for his contributions to the Early Church and to the development of the faith that we practice today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment