Friday, August 29, 2014

8/24/2014 – 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time – Matthew 16:13-20

I waited a while to post this homily on the internet.  I wrote it with a lot of emotion and a lot of feeling.  I originally was not going to post it to the internet, but with the positive responses I received regarding this homily, I thought I would post it.  This is probably one of the most difficult homilies I have ever written.  And it was written with compassion and with love for my parish.  A lot of love.  

       Who am I?  Who do YOU say that I am?  Jesus asks his followers this question in our Gospel today. 
        Every Christian must answer this question in the reality of his life.  We answer this question in both our words and our actions.  Every mass we celebrate together on Sunday, we profess the Nicene creed.  The Early Church started writing this creed at the Council of Nicea, convened by the Roman Emperor Constantine in the year 325.  We start our profession of the Creed with the words “I believe.”  We profess the faith of the entire Catholic Church, a faith we share in unity and solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Christ.  In starting the creed “I believe,” each believer asserts and professes his own personal faith with other believers.  But it goes beyond that.  Way beyond that. 
       We answer the question of who Jesus is by the way we live our lives.  Last Wednesday, I attended a workshop at the First Presbyterian Church here in Tupelo about ministering in the midst of our recovery from the tornadoes that hit our city on April 29.  The presenter from Presbyterian Relief Services asked if any of us remembered a quote about proclaiming the Gospel in actions not only in words.   Of course, as the lone Catholic at the workshop I was able to identify the quote as being from St Francis of Assisi, who stated: “Preach the Gospel always, and only when necessary, use words.”
     We as Catholic profess who Jesus is both in our actions and our words.  We are diverse community here in Tupelo, and in our diversity there is a lot of richness.  This weekend, our Hispanic community is having a retreat for our Hispanic children and youth.  The idea started as providing a retreat opportunity for our altar servers here at St James.  We thought we would have about 20 or 30 attending.  Then several other parishes in the area wanted to collaborate with us.  And we expanded it to include all youth and children from age 8 to age 15.  There ended up being more than 150 children and youth at the retreat.   We have one the most active and vibrant Hispanic ministries in our diocese, something we at St James can be very proud of.  It is the fruit of the vision that Father Henry, Father Gus, and Father Tom had of reaching out to the Hispanics here in Tupelo.  I am trying my best to follow in their footsteps and to follow through with the ministry that they did here at St James in Tupelo. 
      But with the diversity we have in our parish, there can be tension as well.  There can be conflict.  There can be misunderstandings.  But we are called to grow together as disciples of Christ.  To learn from each other.  To be the Body of Christ.  To really show what we believe about Jesus, about what we see in him.
        This is an exciting, busy time at our parish.  Religious education for children and youth has started up again.  So has the youth group.  Our adult faith formation and RCIA will start in a few weeks.  And in a couple of weeks we will have Father Burke Masters come and give our mission on Pope Francis’ Joy of the Gospel.  This has always been a vibrant, alive parish – and with all we have going on we continue in that tradition.
     I was recently reading comments that Pope Francis, the wonderful leader of our Church, directed to his priests.  And I use the phrase "his priests" because that is indeed what we are.  He said that we who are called to the priesthood, who answer that call and are ordained, we priests are called to serve God’s people. As being anointed and ordained into the priestly ministry, the Pope see us priests are being chosen by God for the purpose of helping to pass down the faith to the people, in celebrating God’s holy sacraments with the people of God.   And I, as the appointed pastor of St James, am called to serve all of you.  The pope said that we called to serve God’s people in the anonymity of our daily lives as priests.  It is very humbling for me to be up here, preaching to you as your pastor.   I pray for our parish every day – I give thanks for all of you.  I give thanks for the opportunity and privilege to serve you as your pastor.  And as your pastor, sometimes I have to make very tough decisions.  I have to apply the laws of the Church to the reality of our lives, which not always clear-cut and easy to do.  Know that my heart is with all of you.  Know that I take my role as pastor very seriously.  Know that I take my promise of obedience to Bishop Kopacz and to the Roman Catholic Church very seriously as well – very, very seriously.  Know that I will be the pastor to all of you and to give it all I have got. 
      Pope Francis, when he chose his name as pope after St Francis of Assisi – the first pope to do so – he sent a powerful message to the world.  He chose the name of a saint who is not only beloved in our Church, who not only represents in a very strong witness Christ’s mission and ministry, but that name also represents a saint that transcends the Catholic Church and is loved by all the people of the world, a saint who reached out for simplicity, to those in poverty, and who cared for the poor.”  I want to end with the Prayer of St Francis of Assisi, because these words are the wish I have for myself as your pastor, and the wish I have for our parish:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment