Sunday, July 27, 2014

7/28/2014 – Monday of 17th week in ordinary time – Matthew 13:31-35

      Faith the size of a mustard seed – sometimes that might seem like something unattainable.  I think we often take faith for granted, not understanding that it is truly a grace from God to be able to have faith.  In a conversation I was having with a friend once, he told me that he thought faith was nothing more than a cop-out from having legitimate tangible proof.  I think the age we live in – with smart phones and tablets and computers and GPS systems – with all these technological devices, we think we need touch it and see it and prove it in order to believe.  It all can begin with a little mustard seed.  It can begin by being able to say:  I want to believe.  Or: Lord – I want you to help me in my doubts and in my unbelief.   We need to wrestle with those doubts that we have.   We need to be able to bring them to the Lord.  It may be a very humbling act indeed to admit that we don’t have all the answers, to admit that we will never have enough proof to satisfy our hunger.  But all we have to do to start off with is to have the faith of a mustard seed. That is it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment