Thursday, February 7, 2013

2/8/2013 – Friday of fourth week in ordinary time – Hebrews 13:1-8


       The writer of the letter to the Hebrews gives us some interesting advice this morning, telling us that we should not neglect hospitality, from through our hospitality we may unknowingly have entertained some angels.  I think of how Mother Teresa of Calcutta always thought about serving Jesus in disguise as she ministered to the poor of India.  Then, the writer of Hebrews tells us to be mindful of prisoners as if we were sharing their imprisonment.  Sometimes through the difficulty I have had in getting into the prisons to minister to the prisoners, I feel like I have shared in their imprisonment.  Archbishop Sean O’Malley is well-known for his dedication to prison ministry, which he started as a newly ordained priest.  He had this to say about his prison ministry: “My presence (with the prisoners) is a signal to them that they are not forgotten, that they are important to the church, that they are a part of our family.”  I could not have said it any better than Archbishop O’Malley.
         The writer of the Letter to the Hebrews is trying to expound on the spirit of the Gospels by giving this advice.  And if we allow the Holy Spirit to live and breathe and move within us, this spirit of the Gospels will enter us and grow within us.  The writer of Hebrews proclaims – The Lord is my helper – I shall not be afraid.  May the Lord’s spirit take over our lives – may it lead us and guide us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment