Wednesday, February 6, 2013

2/7/2013 – Thursday of 4th week in ordinary time – Mark 6:7-13


        It always strikes me how Jesus sent his disciples out on their journey to bring the Good News to the world with so few things.  After having moved all of my belonging from Yazoo City to Tupelo, I have promised myself that I will continue to downsize from all the books I seem to have accumulated in the short time I’ve been a priest.  We can have things that weigh us down in life, and that is what Jesus wanted to prevent as he sent his disciples out to be missionaries to the world.  He wanted them to place their full dependence on God, not on material things.   We can have so many preconceived ideas or notions as well that can hinder us in living out God’s Good News and in brining it to others. 
         When I went on that pilgrimage to Spain last year, carrying everything on our back in a backpack, I tried to emphasize to the ladies going with us to pack minimally and to carry only the bare essentials.  However, it always seems like we over-pack, doesn’t it?  We don’t want to be unprepared, so we carry more than we need to. 
         As we get close to the holy season of Lent, if would be good for us to think about what we need to unpack and leave behind as we enter this stage of our journey.  What are we relying on in our lives that does not leave us free to follow the Lord? 

No comments:

Post a Comment