Monday, October 3, 2011

Photos - Cotton fields - Mississippi Delta - near Satartia, Yazoo County, Mississippi


Last Friday morning, I drove down Highway 3 to Vicksburg for a funeral.  I came along these cotton fields on the road coming back, just south of the village of Satartia, in southwestern Yazoo County.  Cotton has really made a comeback this year.  Cotton fields are once again everywhere in the Delta.  I hope to visit the Jordan family of our parish later this week to see them first hand harvesting the cotton out in the fields.  These plants are much smaller than the ones I took photos of near Midnight, Mississippi in Humphreys County just a couple of weeks ago.  It is a blanket of white when you see all the cotton plants stretching toward the horizon.  The photos do not give them justice.  It is so much easier now picking them with the machines.  I cannot imagine when all of this was picked by hand.  





No comments:

Post a Comment