Monday, September 5, 2011

9/3/11 - Lila Spannenberg Dall - Rest in Peace - 1926 - 1991

Lila Spannenberg Dall
Born - Chicago, Illinois - Aug 25, 1926
Entered eternal life - Santa Ana, California - Sept 3, 1991 

Not only did I celebrate the funerals of two very dear ladies on September 3 at St Mary Catholic Church in Yazoo City, but on that date I recognized the twentieth anniversary of the passing of my mother.  My two sisters remarked how so much has gone on our lives since that time.  It is so hard for us to believe that it has been twenty years.  I had not gone to the mission field, I had not served as a teacher, I had not gone to seminary and then became a priest until after my mom had passed away.  However, like the spirits of Betty Vaughan Johnson and Tootie Weisenberger who passed this past week, the spirit of my mom lives on in so many people.  Just last week, on Aug 25, on what would have been my mom's 85th birthday, my mom's friend Nancy Springfield drove from her home in Columbus, Mississippi to where I live in Yazoo City to bring me a memory book that she and my mom's friends at the Santa Ana Public Library made in her honor and in her memory.  I thank my mom for all she taught me, and her spirit and joy certainly still lives on in my life and in the lives of many people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment